Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Bling!

Thanks to a power outage at work, which prevents us from operating... I'm on day three of an unexpected vacation. This has afforded me a LOT of time to get things done, as well as time to heal, rest up, and get my mind in a better place.

Since Monday, I have:
~Taken a walk every day (something I want to do regardless of my job situation)
~Finished sewing the vest for my debut burlesque costume
~Finished the pasties for said costume
~Rhinestoned one half of the bra for said costume (while listening to season 2 of MacGyver)
~Washed all the dishes in my sink
~Re-watched season 3 of RuPaul's Drag Race
~Checked out a book from the library (well... I had put it on hold last week, I picked it up today)
~Made a cherry pie


...I also have been making all kinds of excuses as to why I get to treat myself to lunch/dinner/ice cream/etc. Which is not so good for my budget, but the upside is that I haven't used the three-quarters of a tank of gas that I would have used to get to work the last three days... so I think it evens out.

I've been told we might also have tomorrow off, which means I will likely get to finish blinging out my burly-q costume (finishing the bra/panties, and then adding sequins), as well as photographing and posting on Etsy the 8 or 10 feather fascinators I haven't yet sold. I was going to photograph them today, but I've been having a hell of a time trying to find a place in my apartment that will make nice photographs. I'm settling on using my nifty looking radiator as a backdrop, but that means I need to wait for a time when the bright afternoon sun isn't streaming through that window. ...Also, I need to wash my floor, because this apartment is NASTY.

(It's a lot cleaner than it was last week, due to my having time to clean, but...)


It's... uplifting to be accomplishing so much. I have a hell of a lot more energy at the end of the day, and I feel like I'm accomplishing something worthwhile. I was afraid, by midafternoon yesterday, that I wouldn't be able to handle working for myself, now that I've got the chance for a mini trial-run. But really, I've gotten a lot done, and I've been pretty disciplined about sitting down to do my work.

I tend to be really... spacey about doing things, washing a dish, then coming back to watch an EPISODE of some show or other, but I'm tired of letting that be an excuse. So... at 8 this morning, there I was with Pandora playing on the countertop, buzzing through the whole sinkful. Learning how to manage myself is definitely going to be a learning curve, once I get there, but I'm starting to think I'll be ok.
Plus, this week is also proving that, once I *do* quit my day job once and for all, I'll spend at least a week doing basically nothing, until I get bored enough (and concerned enough about my income) to jump back up and take care of business. And I'm ok with that.


All I can say at this point is THANK GOD for unexpected vacation. It is exactly what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment